The early 1920s ushered in a boom in church planting in the Diocese of Toronto. Between 1920 and 1925, thirteen new congregations were formed. One of them was St. Crispins’, near the Scarborough Bluffs. A mission of the Church of the Epiphany, Anglicans originally met at a ratepayers hall on Craiglee Drive, and at a January 1922 meeting decided on the name St. Stephen’s. This name did not last long. In May, Mabel Cartwright (Diocesan President of the Women’s Auxiliary) suggested St. Crispin’s because there was no other church in the province bearing that name. Her proposal was accepted. On St. Crispin’s Day 1922 (October 25th), Bishop W.B. Reeve turned the sod. (I have not been able to discover who Bishop Reeve was.) At least at one point in the early history of St. Crispin’s (1928-1931), it was led by the rector of the Church of the Epiphany, Henry Roche.
In 1932, a chancel and apse from Brantford were added to the building. This was followed in 1935 by the addition of choir rooms and a Sunday School hall. In 1953, a basement was dug. Before further renovations in 1962, this was what St. Crispin’s looked like. In 1963, a new narthex was added, and the old frame building was surrounded with brick and mortar. (The structure had become unsound and the only alternative was to tear the building down. The sketch below showed that the plans at the time included the addition of a new liturgical space on the north, but this was never built.
St. Crispin’s was located near to Lake Ontario, and to the original site proposed for St. George’s. This created tension and controversy in the 1950s, but was resolved when the location of St George’s moved north to St. Clair Avenue East.
In 2011, St. Crispin’s voted to amalgate with three other parishes to form a new parish. Today, the building is St. Nicholas Orthodox Cathedral.
“St. Crispin’s Anglican Church” is just visible.
This memorial plaque, and the parking sign, are visible reminders of the building’s Anglican heritage.